Spring is on its way! This was evident at the Durham Farmers Market this Saturday where I was delighted to see all sorts of greens, radishes and fresh flowers. I settled on spinach, mache and pea shoots, which are all pretty mild so Grace could enjoy. I imagine in a few weeks we can all devour a similar version of the salad below with in-season sweet strawberries. For now try it with some tarte plums or cherries and tangy blue or goat cheese. Hope you all had a lovely weekend and enjoy the recipe! -Addie
Plum & Spring Greens Salad with Blue Cheese
Serves 2 adults and 1 toddler generously
- 1 handful pea shoots
- 1 handful mache lettuce
- 1 handful spinach
- A few tablespoons blue cheese or other soft cheese such as goat, feta or ricotta salata
- Candied pecans* (see note)
- 1 & 1/2 plums washed, pitted and sliced
- Salad dressing of choice (our go-to is a blend of olive oil, creole mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and minced shallots)
- Toss the greens together then divide between two adult size plates and one toddler/baby size plate.
- Sprinkle each with blue cheese and the adult plates with candied pecans.
- Top with sliced plum and dressing.
- You can easily “candy” your own pecans. Toss desired amount of pecans in some melted butter, brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon and salt. Then toast in oven on 350 for for about 15 minutes or until fragrant and dark golden brown.
- We made Grace a mini version of this salad with just the microgreens, plums and blue cheese all chopped up (so leaving out the pecans and larger greens). Great finger foods!